top of page

food joy body peace Group

Public·19 members
Isaac Cruz
Isaac Cruz

[S2E12] A Thin Line Between Hunch And Hate ((EXCLUSIVE))

At Constance, Blair and Serena are discussing the upcoming Snowflake Ball. Blair insists Serena help her go through the list of guys who want to go with Blair to the ball, although Serena doesn't want to. Chuck approaches the girls and asks which short term date is the winner. Blair asks why he doesn't think she wants something more, and he calls it a hunch. She lists the guys on the list and he finds faults with each of them. Serena spots Dan and shows him her present for Aaron for Hanukkah: a first edition Herter Norton copy of Letters To A Young Poet. He asks if that means Aaron said yes to going to the Snowflake Ball and Serena says no but that she's still planning on going anyway. Dan says he's going too, and the two can hang out. He asks Serena if Aaron is okay with them hanging out, and she says he is and mentions how his ex Lexi is coming to town. She invites Dan to come to the gallery with her and the two set off.

[S2E12] A thin line between hunch and hate

Dan and Serena arrive at the gallery and overhear Aaron's ex Lexi criticizing Serena and the photos Aaron took of her. Aaron introduces Dan and Serena to Lexi. Meanwhile, Nate and Vanessa are hanging out and he asks her to come to the Snowflake Ball with him. She says she would love to, but it's maybe not such a good idea. Nate guesses that she hasn't told Jenny they're dating, and says that it doesn't matter since she blew him off and clearly doesn't care. Vanessa, knowing why Jenny hadn't talked to Nate, asks what would happen if he found out Jenny still liked him. He says he's really happy and doesn't want to ruin things. In the background, a girl takes a picture of them kissing. Back at the loft, Penelope asks Jenny whatever happened with her and Nate. Jenny says nothing ever happened, and Penelope reveals that she's planning on asking Nate to the ball. A Gossip Girl blast comes in, with the photo of Vanessa and Nate, and both girls are shocked.

Outside, Vanessa is getting in a cab when she's stopped by Nate. They talk, and Nate tells her that she is the one he wants to be with before kissing her. Jenny sees the whole thing before being confronted by Penelope, Hazel, and Isabel. She tells them that Vanessa is ten times the person they will ever be and that's why they hate her and she leaves. Blair and Chuck dance together, after realizing they don't want to lose what they have going on. Dan and Serena talk, and she apologizes for what she said earlier. They both admit that the night they slept together was the best night of their lives. At that moment, Lily comes up desperately looking for Chuck. Serena asks her what's wrong, and she says Bart was in an accident.

Did that approximate 30 minute figure include all the set up related to the process or just laying them out on the rack. In other words how long did it take to set up the rack? Does it always take that time or does it vary with respect to the terrain or platform it's set up on? And how do you choose where to set up the rack? Another thing to consider is while it may or may not be efficient for cutting a batch of 48 rafters is it efficient (when take into consideration all the set up time) for a 12 rafter batch? There probably is a point where cutting in process/production line operation is the more efficient operation.

And if thinking about all that isn't enough as I've gotten older and began to really study and more formally learn about production and productivity I learned that most of the time that can be classified as wasted time and inefficiency occurs not in the actual task itself but in between the tasks! The reality is we don't make our companies faster and more efficient by finding ways to work faster or get the task done faster but in removing the waste in between tasks by designing our operations so that they can achieve continuous flow. It's even entirely possible that one person cutting rafters one at a time while working with two carpenters installing them in a Just-In-Time operation is more efficient that a gang cutting batch operation. (In fact while I don't have the statistical data or recent experience with regard to framing to prove that I have a hunch from the other operations where we have moved to smaller batch sizes that the JIT process probably is the better process.)

Are you saying that anecdotally based on your visual observations or are you keeping real data on production? I'm not doubting or questioning your increase in volume but it may in reality be actually due to other factors. I had/have a consulting client who builds outdoor structures, decks, fences, and other outdoor carpentry and when we used to talk he used to always complain about how bad weather absolutely destroyed productivity. He was thinking along the lines of 25% to 50% losses in production which I thought was crazy so we studied it for a summer to see what really happened. Ya know what we found?

I used to have a system going that I thought was real efficient. I started a thread on it awhile ago, to see if anyone else was doing it. But no one seemed to be doing it, or interested in trying. And then it got sidetracked by a debate about lowering the seat cut on hips, and I eventually dropped out.Anyway, after many repetitive roofs, very similar in nature (cut & stack, 3000 - 5000 sq. ft. houses, 5:12 pitch, cut-up with hips and valleys, sq.-cut fascia with ripped tails, etc.), I finally got a system that worked well.I started cutting my roof almost on day 1 (right after I snapped lines and did the layout). Guys would come out and shake their heads, and tell me I had the cart before the horse. But I could cut the entire roof ahead of time, while the crew framed away. I'd holler for a helper if I needed one, but for most of the stuff I didn't. And the beauty of it was, the roof was ready to go when the house was ready for the roof. And the stacking went real quick, with everything pre-cut.I did rack all my rafters, and gang-cut the plumb-cut on the seat, and the bottom of the plumb-cut at the ridge (I only had a skilsaw, so I couldn't complete the cut). After ganging the rafters and packing them tight, I'd snap lines and cut. Then I'd roll them over, and finish the cuts individually. With jack rafters, I'd try to get two per board, a long and a short. I'd transfer the jacks from the rack to my horses, and I set up the horses like the current video download on FHB - meaning where the horses are centered on the two pieces that will result from the cut, and as you stand between and cut, you lift and pull just a little as you complete the cut, to avoid binding the blade. (When gang cutting, I found it best to have the supporting rack directly under the cuts, like Tim is doing in the pics.)I'd build little "packages" of rafters for each "quadrant" (my term for one side of a hip corner), and each section of commons, etc. So I'd have the ridges, hips, and valleys, and then all these stacks of "packaged" rafters. The mental gymnastics gets a little easier when you work little sections at a time, like that.On stack day, I'd just direct what went where, and the sequence of erecting the thing. It was really quick, once the crew and I got used to working the system. It was awesome to see a big, cut-up roof come together in about a day.I'm just reminiscing, because I haven't done one in years. But I still fantasize about getting back into roof-cutting, because it was one of the most satisfying facets of my construction career. Hope I haven't beat this dead horse too much! Just find the subject engrossing. Thanks Tim for the great pics, by way!

thanks, I do have some pics around, but haven't located them yet. I'll try to take a pic of the photos, to share, if I find them (this was in the days before digital pics).I should have added: one of the reasons I got into pre-cutting the roofs like that was that the way we did it originally, with me starting to cut the roof once the house was already framed, we had an inefficent loggerhead. I mean, the crew could stack way faster than I could cut (picture three guys standing on the plate, while one guy cuts and hands up jack rafters, scratching his head and punching his calculator between cuts!). And that I think is the benefit of the gang-cutting system: its not that its so much faster for the cutter. It might not produce a HUGE improvement in cutting speed, but that speed comes at a critical time - so its really that its faster for the crew. Picture this: a baseball player has a system that makes him hit just a LITTLE further, or run just a LITTLE faster - is it worth to him? Sure, but imagine how much more important it is to the team, if he's the clean-up hitter, and those improvements come at a critical time, when the team is really counting on him to come through for them. The roof-cutter is the clean-up hitter, in a very real sense. Typically, the roof tends to get cut once the walls and joists are run. There may be some soffits or coffers to frame, arches, etc. - but most of the wham-bam production stuff is completed at that point. So you need the roof pronto, to keep the wham-bam guys in motion. It is somewhat of an intangible benefit - a morale thing. I watched a lot of framing jobs lose momentum when they got to the complex roof. And once the roof was finally stacked out, it was hard to get that momentum back. But if you can have the roof ready the minute the joists are run, the guys are excited. The visible progress is a tremendous morale builder, which is critical if you have a crew on payroll.And I don't know if anyone has really explored this, but when you're using a system that is a little out of the ordinary, it really builds team pride: "our system is better than those other crews!" Thats a confidence builder. Tell me: Your crew has a stronger sense of team-pride and confidence since you've gone to gang-cutting with your specialized saws - am I right? My experience was that even the lumber-humpers and grunts feel like they're part of something special. I mean, you're excited about it, by virtue of the fact that you're taking pics, posting pics, writing about it. Even that fact - you, the roof-cutter's excitement, will affect the crew. It rubs off. Are you the contractor, the foreman, the lead-framer? Building excitement for the project is the mark of a good leader.So I don't think the benefits of the gang-cutting system can be measured strictly in terms of efficiency and saved-time. Does this make any sense? The comments about How much time does gang-cutting actually save got me thinking about this. 041b061a72

About

Welcome to the group! You can connect with other members, ge...

Members

bottom of page